Fine motor skills include the use of muscles of hands which are smaller in size, in activities like holding pencils, and toys that require care.
How the task is executed depends on how developed the fine motor skill is. A lot of independent skills come together and form fine motor skills.
What skills do ‘fine motor skills’ include?
- Skills in Academics
Skills which involve Pencil usage(writing, scribbling, drawing, sketching)
Skills that require scissors.
The use of games like Lego, Toy trains and construction-related games
Dressing of Dolls.
- Personal tidying activities
Dressing up– Tying one’s hair, shoelaces or ties.
Eating- Using the cutlery and filling own lunch boxes.
Personal hygiene-cutting nails.
Importance of fine motor skills
The everyday tasks that we tend to perform are of utmost importance. To perform the daily academic skills fine motor skills are important. The confidence of a child will suffer if fine motor skills aren't polished.
The basic everyday things like feeding self or getting dressed are restricted. This can have an impact on relations with friends and also with family members.
Children with difficulties in fine motor skills have following signs-
- They fight to induce physical activities a lot of instead of choosing the fine motor skills.
- Activities, like playing with mobiles or watching TV, are given importance to these children.
- They avoid writing.
- Not facing challenges and giving up simply once it involves fine motor skills.
- Getting dressed from parents instead of doing it themselves.
To make kids develop fine motor skills, the following things can be done-
- Try making the activities fun for the kids
- Family members can be involved in the activities.
- Playing games without recording wins or losses.
- Reduce the use of television or mobiles for children.
- Jumble different games together so that the kids enjoy it.
Enroll your kid in preschools that provide equal importance to Fine motor skills and alternative activities. Discovery Playhouse in Wakad is such a school that emphasizes these factors. Numerous activities ensure that kids develop these skills seamlessly. Parents and teachers are in constant touch due to which there is uniformity in the efforts of parents and teachers.